The Oscars were exactly two weeks ago, and while I glimpsed at the fashions before diving back into my day job, I’m only now getting down to the business of really checking them out – and I have to say I’m kinda underwhelmed. What happened to colour? What happened to the big ball gowns and OTT hair dos? What happened to having fun with fashion? Metallics seemed to be the favourite colour of the night, sleek and dare I say understated styling, the MO for the most part. The impression that I get from looking at some of these pics is that a memo went out – telling all the ladies not to wear anything to crazy, that would, say impair movement, hinder sitting comfortably – it is a long ceremony after all, or perhaps hamper the view of the person sitting behind them! Unfortunately for all of us – or maybe just me – it also meant a not so memorable red carpet!
Now that I’ve gotten that little rant out of my system, here are my 5 favourites of the evening –
- Emma Stone in an intricate Givenchy Haute Couture gown
- Brie Larson in Oscar de la Renta
- Hailee Steinfeld in Ralph & Russo
- Jessica Biel in Kaufman Franco
- Taraji P Henson in Alberta Ferreti (that’s navy velvet btw!)
If the theme of the main event was serious fashion, fun was clearly the name of the game at the after parties, and all our favourite A-listers (and B, C & D-listers) and their plus ones brought their A fashion game to the festivities for sure. Oh what a feast for my eyes – there were sleek gowns and big gowns and maybe even a few not-gowns, glitter though not as much colour as I would have liked but certainly more than at the show, and more. For me, this was definitely the better carpet – which made it pretty hard to pick favourites.
Here are my top 12 of the night!
- Zoë Kravitz in Armani Prive
- Elizabeth Banks in Elie Saab
- Brie Larson in Ralph and Russo
- Hailee Stienfeld in Ralph and Russo
5. Dakota Johnson in Gucci
6. Janelle Monae in Alexander Vauthier
7. Katy Perry in Jean Paul Gautier
8. Jessica Biel in Raplh Lauren
9. Karlie Kloss in Naeem Khan
10. Michelle Monaghan in Brandon Maxwell
11. Emma Stone in Givenchy by Ricardo Tisci
12. Lily Collins in Elie Saab
Who were your favourites? Thoughts???